25 April 2013

The Muse: Working Girl


 We've been stand in substitute teachers this week in the library because one of our teachers who is out had scheduled all five of his classes to do research. The kids have to compare and contrast a topic today with the same topic in another decade (1920's-1980's) then come to a conclusion which is better. For example family life in the 50's versus today, cars in the 30's, or fashion in the 80's, and so on. I was pleasantly suprised how many kids didn't pick today. For example one kid said that boxing in the 1960's was much better than today (who knew?). Regardless, speaking of the 80's I really couldn't escape the fact that I was totally channeling Melanie Griffiths in Working Girl today. This dress if definitely a relic of the 80's even without shoulder pads. It was even worse when it had a row of giant oversized buttons covered with matching paisley fabric marching down the white panel. I took those off, it was a little too dated even for me. I did however sparkly accessories and mile high heels to go with my power suit. The space invader cut of the shoulders is definitely a nod to Galliano. The only concession, I don't have the big hair and I just say no to wearing sneakers for the commute to work and brave the mean streets in my somewhat trashy five inch platforms.
Dress: vintage, Jenny Petites, thrifted via Abby's House
Purse: Target
Shoes: City Lights via J.C. Penny
Necklace: swapped

Good Muse, good movie, great song from Carly Simon (Let the River Run won the Oscar for Best Song that year) and a good day for linking up with Tara at Mix and Match Fashion and Agi at Vodka Infused Lemonade
How do you even get hair that big? I think Joan Cusack may have single handedly put the hole in the ozone layer with her conspicous consumption of Aqua Net. Alas she does have a Hostess cupcake, which are now no more.

I once rode the Staten Island ferry and to be honest I would wear sneakers too, however I doubt they would make it to Manhattan that white.











No comments:

Post a Comment