24 April 2013

The Muse: Cherry Blossoms



 Coming to the end of vacation wasn't too much of a burden since the weather hasn't been exactly fantastic. I will confess that spring seems determined to fight and stay, even if its not always that successful. My Flapper 101 Workshop was postponed this weekend until May 5th so i had to think up an alternate activity. I settles for photos in front of the Ladd Observatory underneath the cherry trees. When I was in Japan in 2007 I was there the week of St. Patrick's Day and the cherry blossom time was just starting, and you can't really go anywhere in Tokyo without seeing them. My aunt and uncle had an enormous one outside their dining room window, not a bad view to wake up to every morning.

 I also confess it seemed the perfect compliment to this silk dress with its Mandarin collar. I bought it for $1 at a rummage sale last year and have never worn it because it was cut very oddly and wasn't really flattering. Finally I cut the sleeves off in a last ditch effort to save it, and that helped because it made the mid-section less saggy, adding a belt also improved it but I'm still not sure about it.

Dress: vintage, thrifted via rummage sale
Sweater: INC thrifted via Wheeler School Clothing Sale
Purse: Vintage, new handle added, thrifted via Christ Church Thrift Shop
Shoes: Manolo Blahnik, thrifted via Wheeler School Clothing Sale







After I took my photos I stopped by the Rhode Island Antiques Mall for their semi-annual sale, where everything in the store is at least 10% off, though most everything was between 20-50% off. It was packed! parking was spilling out of the parking lot and down the side streets surrounding the store. They had food trucks in the parking lot and great retro music playing which made for a really fun atmosphere. All the ladies who work there also wore vintage attire for the occasion. Even if you didn't buy anything it was fun just to browse and people watch. Of course I bought something. I included a video touring the mall if you're interested in what type of place it is, it shows what they have and the owners talk about every aspect of their business. They only had a limited amount of vintage when they started, but as the market has gown their selection is expanding.





1.) Vintage makeup case purse: $8 - 20%= $6.40


2.) Vintage leather patchwork purse: $14 - 10% = $12.60


3.) Vintage polyester housedress (no label): $12 - 20% = $9.60




4.) Vintage Entourage ruffle dress: $18 - 20%= $14.40
______________________________________________________

Total: $43

No comments:

Post a Comment