03 May 2013

The Muse: Flamenco


I felt like a flamenco dancer today with the ruffle on this skirt and the way that the slightest breeze made it dance. That and it really is the most vibrant raspberry color,perfect for  fiery Latin dance. When I was in Spain I went to see a flamenco cabaret, and it was an experience (or maybe it was just the sangria). I confess that I have no appreciation or understanding of dance. For the most part I find it about as exciting as paint drying, though culturally it was something to see with the castanets and guitars jangling away. To be honest though I think if I had to pick my Spanish entertainment I would stick to the bull fights, for me that was a lot more exciting! I would probably change out of the dress, its close enough to red I might fear being charged. Maybe some garments are like a great dance, the free you to move and express yourself in ways you never thought possible before. All I know is that there was a definite spring in my step that I attribute to this little scrap of polyester, its amazing what a few ruffles can do to transform a girl's day. I also branched out more with my accessories than originally planned, I had a much safer black belt on at first with shoes that were multicolored with a black base (similar colors to my purse) but I like how the leopard played against the dress, it pushed it a step further fashion-wise. On the down side these shoes were not the ideal choice for changing a tire when mine blew out on the highway. Luckily when I limped my car to my step-mother's house (she lives right off the highway) her neighbor John stepped in and became my knight in shining armor (who also happened to have a nice industrial strength car jack, far superior to the one in my trunk) crisis averted! Also check out Favorite Fashion Friday a new feature pioneered by Tara of The Penniless Socialite and Bonnie of Delusions of Grandeur, this is their first Friday but the plan to linkup every Friday from now on!


Dress: vintage, Entourage, via Rhode Island Antiques Mall
Tank Top (underneath dress): Forever 21 (very old)
Belt: Jones of New York via Macy's
Shoes: Merona via Target
Purse: thrifted via The Bargain Box
Wheat and Checkerboard Bracelets: my mother's
Ring Bracelet: J.C. Penny




For the first time I had to battle wildlife in the pursuit of outfit photos. Sure these geese look cute and fluffy, but the daddy goose was not happy with me being anywhere near them. it proceeded to hiss loudly at me from the other side of the wall, and I had to make sure my arm didn't hang over or it would go after me!



4 comments:

  1. This is really pretty on you love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily, you're a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for linking up on Friday, and I'm so happy to "meet" you! First of all - I love that dress - it really is gorgeous and the color is perfect for your complexion. Second, Spain is probably my most favorite thing in the world. I lived there for four years and tried to stay forever, but my job situation just didn't work out. What was your favorite spot? Thanks again and I'll definitely be following along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bonnie! I confess I had always been a French girl, I had taken it for seven years in school and went to France on the same trip. I expected to love France and hate Spain, but it turned out to be quite the opposite. France was nice, but Spain was just full of unexpected delights. There is nothing better than ending a wild night in Madrid with churros before you totter home to bed! I loved everything but I think my favorite was the day I spent at Escorial and Valle de los Caidos, the juxtaposition of the monarchy of Spain with Franco's monument to the Spanish Civil War hovering above it is both fascinating and a bit chilling. Imagining hollowing out the side of a mountain to honor yourself, Franco, what an ego! Thanks for following along!

    ReplyDelete