21 May 2013

THe Muse: Flappin' Clappin


 I have to apologize for the quality of these photos. Some days no matter how great an outfit is it just doesn't photograph well. My big mistake was that after six months of owning this skirt and happily wearing it with the weird flap pockets swen shut, I had the great idea in the middle of the day to unstitch them. While it was nice to have a place to stick my hands, it totally ruined the lines of the skirt and made the whole front sag like a deflated tire. Normally this wouldn't be such a big deal, but the skirt is also two sizes too big for me, so there's already a lot of extra fabric I tried to camouflage with a big belt. Needless to say I was somewhat unsuccessful. It made for some real crap full outfit photos and because I was being eaten alive by mosquitos I lacked motivation to attempt to take better ones. But none of that matters because this post really is all about the hair! I truly admire those who spend inordinate amounts of time working on their hair. It always looks good and they seem to have a whole hearted satisfaction about them. I however, am not one of those people. I have thick hair that is fairly healthy. I only wash it every other day, and I use the cheapest shampoo out there (no brand names, but its the one thats only $0.88 a bottle at the supermarket) I did have to break down over the winter and start using what I thought was an outrageously expensive tee tree conditioner (at $18 a bottle) because I had really, really bad dry skin. Sometimes I curl it, with a curling iron or hot rollers if I want waves, or overnight with hard plastic rollers if I want real curls. Other than that I'm not overly ambitious. I'd rather sleep the extra twenty minutes in the morning. Despite my reluctance to be a slave to my hair I went another of Chifferobe's Flapper workshops, Flapper 104 The Do's. Held at Suite Tart Salon in Providence by the owner Lulu Locks it was much better than my previous experience with the Flapper 101 workshop. She showed us a flapper up-do for longer hair (what I'm wearing today) and finger waves for shorter, then gave a make-up lesson and a how-to session for applying false eyelashes. Unfortunately time did not allow for me to have my hair or make-up done (my own fault, I was 10-minutes late) but it was a delightful Sunday afternoon full of fun and bubbly drinks. The up do is also a no-brainer definitely a go to in the future. One kid asked my boss Diane today what era my hair was supposed to be and when she told him the 1920's he didn't beleive her, arguing that it looked like ancient Rome or Greece, which I can sort of see. I never made a connection between the 1920's and neoclassicism, I thought that went more with Art Nouveau before WWI than Art Deco in the 20's and 30's. We finally had to bring out a book on fashion in the 1920's to prove it to him, upon which he said, "So if ladies in the 1920's were called flappers, then Clappin's flappin today?" It is, I concede a rather clever play on my last name which sadly is Clappin.
Dress (worn as a top): via Anthropologie
Skirt: Merona via Target
Headband: Anthropologie
Purse: vintage, no label, from a rummage sale
Shoes: Chinese Laundry via Into the Wardrobe
Bracelet: J. C.Penny






I took two shots to show the top and the back of the hair, the top is really simple, parted it on the side, for a more 20's look you could set the top in finger waves or pin curls but I thought it was a little too costume-y for the day time. Mine also came out neater than the hair in the example, even though I just wrapped the hair rather than pinning it, however if I do it again I will definitely pin to cut down on the re-tucking factor through the day.


 1.) Use an elastic hair tie or an elastic headband across your forehead to the back of your head. Leave a small piece of hair pinned up for your side curl at the end. The rest of your hair should be under the elastic.
 2.) Wrap you hair around the elastic/headband until it forms a roll, start at the sides and work your way to the middle. If you find yourself running out of elastic to wind around push the already rolled hair to the sides, it won't unravel it will just give you more volume there.
3.) Pin any loose hair up or set into pin curls!

This was the only photo I ended up in (I'm wearing the red leopard print dress) and its the best one that give you a glimpse of the cute salon space, to my left is the photos studio for Providence Pinup which Lulu Locks also runs and we got a behind the scenes peek at the wardrobe and props. It seems like it would be lots of fun to do, and they do a fantastic job (I included my friend Jen's glamour shot below)but its an insane amount of money. Then again I haven't had a professional photo done since my senior portrait. maybe some day!


No comments:

Post a Comment