10 May 2012

The Muse: Queen Anne's Lace



Even though I know Queen Anne's Lace is a weed, there has always been something about it that I find really beautiful. In a field full of otherwise ordinary grasses, which are fairly uninteresting to look at you have nature's version of couture. It seems particularly dainty and elegant, a very old fashioned kind of flower. The print below is sort of a classic botanical print from the Victorian era, and when I think about the types of flowers documented by naturalists and pressed between the pages of books by fine ladies, Queen Anne's Lace is what comes to mind






 I have a pair of freshman students, both boys who are positively obsessed with color coordination. They are very big into basketball and sports companies, including the jerseys, basketball shorts, hats, and especially sneakers. They actually wait outside shoe stores for the limited releases, it makes my shoe collection look tame in comparison. Today however they were very proud of how my footwear matched and enhanced my outfit. Me, I felt a little too matchy-matchy, if it wasn't for the pattern mixing I'd feel positively dull.

 I think successful pattern mixing is all about scale, in this case the jacket is a smaller geometric pattern, while the skirt is a much larger and more abstract one. With the shared color palette they blend and compliment each other. The shapes of the two pieces I am a little less enthusiastic, as much as I like this jacket because of its color, pattern, pleating, and buttons; if you wear it with anything but really skinny trousers it looks a little boxy and matronly. This full skirt especially had some unflattering angles as much as I like the combinations of patterns.

Jacket: Elle thrifted via Goodwill
Skirt: Ann Taylor Loft
Shoes:  Cynthia Vincent via J. Marcel 
Headband: Goody (I think???) via Ulta




No comments:

Post a Comment