16 May 2012

The Muse: Aslan


 Before you say it, yes I know Aslan was a lion and not a leopard. My muse today goes beyond the at because my entire clothing portion of my outfit comes from Into the Wardrobe which is obviously named for the classic children's book by C.S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I love the implication that by going into the wardrobe you can discover a whole other world without having to travel a step, because I really do feel that way about fashion. The fabulous proprietor Megan is always very warm and friendly and you're guaranteed to leave having had a few laughs if nothing else. I came across this duo a few weeks ago when I was there in search of something to wear for Everybody, Everywhere Nautical. It was in a dangerous place, the new arrival aka full price section. I was drawn especially to the sweater, it had great detail and a beautiful coral color, but it was a medium which will seldom fit my bust. Thank Aslan for zippers, they hold everything in. The skirt I liked too, but also didn't want to try on because I already have a more traditional brown and black full skirted leopard print

 by Jones of New York that I bought at Macy's. Meagan pointed out that it is much larger and more abstract than a typical leopard print, she said it reminded her of flaming leaves falling to the ground (I know isn't she great?!) But isn't that half the fun of consignment shopping, you try things on with no real expectations and love the experience. To my immense surprise and pleasure both fit perfectly and formed a fabulous combination that drew everyone in the store over for a look. I was forced to agree to wear them as an outfit by a complete stranger, with no quarrel coming from me.
THe zipper working hard to hold everything together
The first edition published in 1950

















Sweater: 12 Layers thrifted via Into the Wardrobe
Skirt: AK Anne Klein thrifted via Into the Wardrobe
Brooch: J. Marcel
Shoes: Kelsi Dagger via T. J. Maxx


 While I had nothing truly lion inspired today I stayed in the cat family at least. Besides I tried to accessorize with bright shiny things, because after all C.S. Lewis himself very openly stated that Aslan was not just a Christ-like figure but in fact another incarnation of Christ in a separate world with the same attributes and lessons to teach. Rhinestones aren't exactly light of the world tye stuff but any illumination will do on a dark and cloudy day.

Why am I smiling? Around the time school let out the sun came out
and looking at the weather forecast the sun is hear to stay for the next seven days


No comments:

Post a Comment