31 March 2013

The Muse: Family, Duty, Honor


 This week turned out to be far more eventful than one would normally expect for a four-day week. The biggest event was the arrival of our new Gilder Lehrman exhibit, which if you aren't familiar (and believe me, nobody except history teachers would be)with is a company that produces traveling exhibits on United States history. It involved much moving of furniture and rearranging to fit the display, and given that all of our strapping teenage boys are too lazy to help (one kid actually claimed he had been bitten by a rabid raccoon to et out of helping me move a bookcase) I did most of the work myself. Thus a dress down day in the library. Luckily I had this blouse which tied in nicely with my Tully family theme day. I'm pretty sure its of Indian manufacture, but the cut and pattern have a certain old world quality that think really works for the whole Game of Thrones thing. The birds in the pattern even look a bit like dragons. The necklace also helped me tie in the whole fish thing from the Tully sigil, and to be honest that was one of the first things I thought when I found the necklace at the yard sale. I had seen a vintage necklace in an exhibit that I thought was perfect (see below), and this necklace was the closest thing I found. The Tullys are sort of a second rate family in the books, and other than vague mentions they haven't really come into major focus except through their daughters who married into other great houses (Stark and Arryn). The colors and the sigil however I could handle. Also I had no concrete plan when I did this sort of half-assed braid this morning, but my boss was really impressed by it (why I'm not sure) and asked if I had to get up really early to complete it, I didn't have the heart to tell her it only takes me 15 minutes to get ready and that I braided my hair while I was peeing. But we can be honest right? There are no secrets in the world of fashion reality.





 Blouse: Anokhi thrifted via Goodwill
Necklace: vintage, via yard sale
Jeans: Mossimo via Target
Shoes: Not Rated via Francesca's Collection
Purse:  Bueno, gift

Below is a photograph of the original "Tully" necklace, Fratti for Cadette, gilt stamped brass, 1969



No comments:

Post a Comment