25 March 2013

The Muse: Winter is Coming



Without letting too much nerd seep out and soil my blog, I included the brief summary of who my muse is for the day. These histories of the great houses of the Seven Kingdoms are a big part of both the books and television series. Your house (or family) speaks volumes about who you are. You wear the house colors, you carry the sigil into battle. Often too they reflect where in the world you live and how you live or something significant about your family history. This is the history of the Stark family and a listing of the immediate family members, it is from my own personal copy of A Game of Thrones, and while I think sharing it is kosher, I may be greatly infringing on some obscure copyright law, if so, mea culpa.










 Fitting for me to start my little tribute to the great houses of Westeros with the Starks, though everyone is a protagonist in George R.R.Martin's books, with the narrators jumping around, the Stark family certainly lies at the heart of the books and they are the family most focused on and the underdogs the reader likes to cheer for. Fashion-wise they aren't exactly glamorous, pragmatic is the word that comes to mind. Simple warm clothing to keep out northern cold with a few simple baubles to remind everyone that they are in fact noblemen. Also fur, lots and lots of fur. Its not everyday I get to drag out my fur pocketbook, but this is one occasion that absolutely calls for it. I've included a photo below to show you how HBO has visualized the practical, yet surprisingly good-looking Starks on Game of Thrones.As for winter coming, well its already here, even though every one is ready for it to leave already. About 15 minutes after these photos were taken it started to sleet/snow, which is why the sky is ominous and gray.
Dress: Banana Republic
Brooch: vintage, via Pastimes Consignments
Belt: thrifted via Goodwill (I had taken it off in the car because it kept getting stuck on the seat belt, then forgot to put it back on, so there's only one photo of it)
Bracelets: my mother's
Hair Clip: Damacene from Toledo, Spain
Jacket: vintage rabbit fur, no label, thrifted via The Bargain Box
Shoes: Sole Society










No comments:

Post a Comment