29 July 2012

The Muse: Dark Horse


 A dark horse is usually something obscure which unexpectedly rises to significance, when I think about a dark horse I usually think about politics. Franklin Pierce or Jimmy Carter, those sort of candidates who go from obscurity to the national scene in the blink of an eye. Socrates however, building on Plato's allegory of the Charioteer being driven by two winged horses, defines the black, or dark horse as representational of the soul's irrational desires. The two horses pulling the man of course represent the two sides of his nature, white being pure, orderly, and rational, while the black horse...well don't we all know all about him? This skirt is definitely the former, not something that would have jumped off the pages of a catalogue at me. But in person it drew me both on and off the hanger and I had to have it once I tried it on. over time I have gotten more creative with how I wear it, sometimes I find the material, which is akin to burlap hard to mix and match because it seems rough and informal. The full skirt and black crinoline underneath however make it dressy. I was happy  with how this combination worked, and perhaps is you pair a dark horse with wanton scarlet the result is the soul's irrational desire.

Blouse: Banana Republic
Skirt: Odille via Anthropologie
Belt: thrifted via Goodwill
Shoes: Priori, inherited from L'Oreal
Necklace: ShopHollyDolly via Etsy
Purse: Monsoon (United Kingdom)









No comments:

Post a Comment