05 November 2013

The Muse: Back In the Saddle




So I'm back...and when one gets back in the saddle, of course you must wear cowboy boots (though I suspect, boots or not, I wouldn't survive a half an hour as a cowboy). Its been a long two months off, however its been an extremely busy two months. I'm in a new city, Savannah, and I'm obviously in a new house (the one in Rhode Island was a bit of a commute).


I've also acquired myself a roommate, Remi, who is wonderful and lots of fun to live with. She's  a Jersey girl, but you'd never know it. We're the same age and at the same point in life, she even lived in Rhode Island for awhile (I know, what are the odds? Its a really small state). If you find yourself falling madly in love just from looking at her picture, don't be alarmed, because every man in Savannah is in love with her, its like being followed by packs of wild dogs whenever we go out!


Life is very different, but its good. Art school is hard, harder than I ever expected. I've always been a good student, and even if I didn't always get something 100%, I could fake it. There is no faking it in art school, and being a good student isn't enough. I feel like I've had all these muscles laying dormant that I've suddenly had to use and it hurts like hell. That being said,  a little humility never hurt anyone. I'm doing well, but I'm not a star. Then again the last real art class I took was in middle school...15 years ago. That being considered, I'm above average.

 I am homesick, Savannah's a lovely city, but I'm a New England girl at heart. I miss autumn, real autumn, with leaves changing and frosty mornings. Down here if it hits 60 people are putting on ski parkas (I kid you not, I saw a little boy at the bus stop with a puffy down coat and a knitted cap, it was 58 degrees). I also miss teaching, and its hard to go back to being a student, especially when many of the kids in my classes were kids I was teaching last year. In my heart I'm still a teacher, its not something you can just turn off. I went home for Columbus Day weekend and stopped by school and it was hard, really, really hard to leave. But I also understand part of that nostalgia is that that life represents safety, and the familiar is always comfortable. It may not be easy, but its still the right thing for me to do.



Blouse: White House Black Market, thrifted via Cherry Picked
Trousers: New York and Co. via Building 19
Necklace: vintage, via Goodwill
Bracelet: Anthropologie
Boots: Nine West
Headband: Forever 21
Sunglasses: J. Marcel
Purse: vintage, Jaclyn, RI Antiques Mall





No comments:

Post a Comment