13 July 2013

The Muse: Granny Chic


I am not contemporary in my fashion, by any means. I love vintage, and even in current clothing I'm still a sucker for silhouettes of eras gone by. I like to think of myself as fashionable without truly being in fashion. I'm not a sucker for labels, I don't really do trendy, I definitely beat to my own drummer. If hard pressed to describe my style I like classic shapes with and nontraditional style. Pattern mixing, wild colors, unexpected elements. Now that doesn't really fit into one of those neat categories that they give you on a magazine quiz like "preppy" or "girly" or "bohemian". Some days I am those things, more or less. Other days I'm something totally different. I don't know what box I fit into, but I do know what I like and what I don't like, which makes shopping and putting together an outfit in the morning a whole lot easier. And it never fails to amaze me how many people have no idea what they like, they just buy clothes because they're on trend or on the rack at the moment. They must never be very comfortable.

 As for granny chic, toddy I have it all. Floral pattern of a 1960's sofa: check, pearls: check, cameo: check, embroidered carpet bag: check, lace: check, more floral on my shoes: double check. Perhaps the only thing I don't have is a lot of actual vintage, with the exception of accessories my whole outfit is contemporary, but put them together and you better keep you eyes peeled for rogue reindeer on Christmas Eve. Granny chic is sort of like watching the Golden Girls, you're not there yet, but you sort of want to be. The freedom of being able to say pretty much whatever you want with no repercussions and sit around in Florida with nothing to do but gossip. That being said Bea Arthur is not a look I'm ready to try out. That's the 'chic' part talking.




Cardigan: Old Navy
Lace Blouse: Xhilaration via Target
Skirt: Worthington via J.C. Penny
Belt: vintage, via Wright Square Antique Mall 
Brooch: vintage, via Pastimes Consignments
Shoes: Bandolino via DSW
Purse: vintage, Jaclyn, via RI Antiques Mall








2 comments:

  1. This outfit has such great little details! I love the belt, the floral...everything!
    Thanks for linking up last week. Hope to see you back tomorrow!
    Tara
    Penniless Socialite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having us Tara, I'll definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete