06 June 2013

The Muse: Etheline Tenenbaum

I'm sure I've expressed my undying love for the film The Royal Tenenbaums at some time on this blog, I can't remember exactly where, but I know I have. Its a wonderful film, quirky, which I know turns a lot of people off, and I've had many people say they hated it because they just didn't get it. I admit the first time I watched it I missed a lot. I came out disgusted with the time I had wasted and complained to my mother. She asked if I would sit down and watch it with her. The second time I watched it was like a revelation, I couldn't stop watching it. The story is heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. Its brutally funny, and beautiful to look at. The acting is fantastic. The music is spot on, even some of the less conventional tunes (I mean really, Christmastime is here from A Charlie Brown Christmas while eating ice cream?) But more than anything else is that from soup to nuts, Wes Anderson has everything planned out. he knows every inch of his sets, every costume his characters could possibly wear, and no minute faction of the story is left unexplored. I love knowing that even if I never see it or even contemplate it, if I were to ask him anything about his films, without hesitation he would have considered it.
I have to say I was always fascinated by the mother, Etheline, played in the movie by Anjelica Huston (once the topic came up among my guy friends who they thought was the most beautiful female celebrity, and my friend Miles picked her, at first I thought it was an odd choice, but upon reflection there is something really raw and beautiful about her, which is why I adore Miles, he thinks outside the box). First of all she's an anthropologist, a very dear profession to my own heart, since it was my major in college and her life seems to be centered around the study of culture and societal interactions that fascinated those in the discipline. Her office is a treasure trove of neolithic stone tools, archaeological remains, and shelf upon shelf of National Geographics and the collected works of Mead, Durkheim, and Benedict. Her influence can clearly be seen in her children and their tasted as well, Richie is clearly an explorer who loves maps and travel and Margot's walls are covered in zebra print wall paper with tribal masks (kind of like my dress!)Part of her enigma however is that as fascinated as she is and surrounded y other exotic cultures she herself is every inch the prim and proper lady, with a rather old fashioned set of values that is at odds with her progressive ideas for raising children and her autonomous career. In short she is the perfect muse. I wanted the feel and patterns of the exotic cultures, contained within more traditional silhouettes. Wild and buttoned up all at the same time, just like Etheline.




 Dress (actually a skirt worn as a dress): no label (possibly handmade) thrifted via The Bargain Box
Sweater: Bleev via T.J. Maxx
Necklace: Twice the Diva
Bracelet: Poundland (UK)
Shoes: Fashion Bug, thrifted via Salvation Army Family Store
Purse: Call It Spring via J.C. Penny









Linking up with Tara at Mix & Match Fashion

No comments:

Post a Comment