31 December 2012

The Muse: Merry and Bright


 So as New Year's Eve rolls around it seems fitting to show you the dress that I ractically lived in over the holiday season, and early Christmas present from my mother. I don't go in for the ugly sweaters or anything bearing the semblance of a reindeer, tree, elf, or snowman. In fact for years I even avoided Christmasy colors, but I liked this dress because while its a nice cheerful red its still stylish and the leopard print keeps it from screaming "holiday season ensemble" in your face. It also has a very nice cut and handsome gold fastening with Michael Kors logo on it that you can't see in this picture. So I wore it for Sunday the 23rd when my boss Diane (pictured below in the blue coat) and I went down to Newport, the City by the Sea to do the holiday tour of the mansions on Bellevue Avenue.
The mansions that are open in the winter, and have decorations both outside and inside are The Elms, The Breakers, and Marble House. I did the tour probably 15 years ago when I was in middle school and they used to decorate Chateau Sur Mer, so I was glad I got to see at least one different mansion this time. It was packed being the day before Christmas Eve, the Elms in particular because kids could get their picture taken with Santa there but a nice fun day, not too cold. Luckily Diane, my boss like to dress to the nines so we had a fun girls dress up and pretend we're in Downton Abbey type of day.

 Dress: Michael Kors, gift
Boots: Coconuts via DSW
Purse: vintage, knockoff Whiting and Davis, gift from my grandmother, found at a church fair
Coat: Jones of New York via Marshall's

All pictures above are The Elms, The next set of pictures is The Breakers, the grandpappy of all Newport mansions built by Cornelius Vanderbilt, if you only ever see one Newport mansion this would be the biggest, if not the best (I like both the Elms and Marble House better, and not just because they gave complimentary spiked eggnog at the Elms)






I was told when we entered 'you can take pictures in the room with the angle Christmas tree (pictured above) then a grumpy old man yelled at me for doing so, so I snarkily took two pictures just to spite him, put that in your pipe and smoke old man security guard



Marble House, also built by a Vanderbilt, William who was instrumental in keeping the America's Cup yacht races in Newport for so long





No comments:

Post a Comment