16 November 2012

The Muse: Opulence


 Is it just me or is there just something about velvet that implies opulence? It makes me think of stage curtains in a theater, or the upholstery on the interior of 19th century carriages. When I was a kid my Christmas dresses were always velvet with yards of embellishment. That being said sometimes velvet is not so nice, if you rub the nap of the fabric in the wrong direction its actually quite an unpleasant sensation. Regardless I had wanted a velvet blazer for probably ten years and never found one. It went so long I forgot all about it. 
Now this is one of the great things about consignment shops, you try thing you never normally would. I've never been in a Coldwater Creek but I've seen enough through the windows to know its not really my style. I tend to lump it together with Talbots and Chicos as clothing meant for middle aged soccer moms. Or do I? This is a fantastic velvet jacket, and it actually hasa rather dramatic flair like an ageing aristocrat in a large powdered wig. I found it on the 75% off rack at Krazy Daisy one of my favorite local consignment shops. $15. That's opulence the common man can afford.

Jacket: Coldwater Creek thrifted via Krazy Daisy
Tank: Old Navy
Trousers: Karen Millen
Necklace: Apostrophe via Sears
Gold ring: vintage, my grandfather's 1949 class ring
Cameo ring: Free People
Earrings: vintage, via Pastimes Consignments (or possibly a yard sale)
Shoes: Steve Madden via T. J. Maxx (I think ???)
Purse: vintage, thrifted and reconditioned
Sunglasses: Dollar Tree, self-embellished














No comments:

Post a Comment