07 February 2013

The Muse: Easy Breezy

There has been a lot going on in the library where I work. I mentioned in my last post we're running a Valentine's Day COntest on Star-Crossed Lovers, We give the kids half of a famous couple, for example Romeo. They then have to supply the other half of the couple (Juliet), the story that made them famous (Romeo and Juliet), and who wrote the story (William Shakespeare). Naturally they were disappointed when they discovered that none of the couples in the competition were as easy as the one I used for the example. So far our famous couples have been:

Holly Golightly and 'Fred' from Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
Daisy Buchanan and Jay Gatsby from The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald
Angel Clare and Tess from Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
Mr. Rochester and Jane Eyre from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Cathy Earnshaw and Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

We have a couple of kids in hot contention from the prize, both boys and girls surprisingly. The winner gets 14 (in honor of Valentine's Day) passes to come to the library, which doesn't sound very exciting but in the world of high school its worth more than gold. We'll continue the contest through the 15th, which is the last day before February vacation. Yesterday we had parent-teacher conferences, which can make for a very long day, because lets face it, no parent comes to see the librarians. 


We also hosted the science fair last week which meant we were closed because the fair was set up in the library. This did not mean a quiet reserved day however, because of limited judges we ended up judging most of the day, I judged 9 out of the 12 projects. Judges got free pizza for lunch however which more than softened the blow. That and I just love science fair, I was a huge science nerd in high school and went to the state science fair my junior and senior years, so it brought back a lot of fond memories for me. Finally despite all the madness my car finally went into the shop to be repaired after I got rear-ended back in September, and while it looks fantastic, my mother and I sharing a car for over a week left everyone with frayed nerves, even if we do work opposite shifts. These photos were taken the day of the science fair, behind the nursing home where she works right after I dropped her off. It was the last really nice day we had (even though I'm wearing a coat in some of the pictures it was like 60 degrees out, a cruel tease as it dropped back to the teens the next day) and I took advantage of it by lightening up my wardrobe.



Scarf: second-hand from my grandmother
Dress: Hero and Leander via Anthropolgie
Stockings: Worthington via J.C. Penny
Boots: Nine West
Brooch: vintage, Rhode Island Antiques Mall
Purse: Target (old)
Coat: Chalet via Heart and Soul





A glimpse at the Science Fair below (having a camera with you to take outfit photos somehow volunteers you as unofficial photographer):





Every project had five judges, my signature is at the top (this project actually won grand prize) the last signature is David Vito, a former science teacher that the fair is named for


Kevin a Chemistry teacher (in the green) and Duncan a Biology teacher (in the plaid) tally up their scores


My boss Diane learns all about the physics of billiard balls


Diane and Scott, our principal (its not an optical illusion, he really is that tall, he's 6' 6") learn all about which over the counter pain reliever is safest



Alex, our fearless leader calculates the winners for the day, determining who will move on to the regional fair at Bristol Community College


The Winners!


I tried to find a photo of me in my school uniform with my backboard from my junior science fair, I know it exists but I just couldn't find it. This was the awards ceremony from the science fair my senior year. My friends and I took the top three prizes that year. Miles (to my right) took grand prize, Matt (pink tie) and his partner Dan took first prize as a team, and I took second place. Matt went to Harvard, Dan went to the University of Chicago, and Miles went to Brown. One of these things is not like the other. But boy, was that scarf cute worn as a headband! It was the first thing I ever bought from Anthropologie, it cost $50 and I thought that was a fortune!


1 comment:

  1. There's a big dance at the end of the movie Never Been Kissed, and it features famous couples. A group of kids went as DNA, Drew Barrymore's character was part of a Shakespearean couple, and if you watch closely you'll see a couple of kids dressed as Hunter S Thompson and his crazy lawyer from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It was really cute and I had to wonder why my school never hosted such awesome dances.

    ReplyDelete