18 October 2012

The Muse: Norman Rockwell


Image 5687

 Fingers crossed this will actually post, this is my fourth attempt in a week to post this outfit and photos from my trip to Stockbridge and the Norman Rockwell Museum. Not sure what the issue is but these photos have been struggling to get out since Columbus Day. Stockbridge was a perfect day trip on a New England weekend and I was astounded at how far some of the cars had travelled from. My main objective was to visit the museum, as we've put up a big display on the FOur Freedoms before the election and to celebrate the opening of the new FDR Memorial Park on Roosevelt Island in Manhattan on the 24th.









I never used to care for Rockwell, he was to sappy and predictable for me. The older I get however, the more I appreciate him, like an artistic version of a Bruce Springsteen song, 'Glory Days', or 'Thunder Road' in a frame. Getting sentimental I guess. I even tried to dress like I had stepped out of a Rockewell painting, iconic mid-century red schoolgirl plaid and my Sunday hat. Either way its a lovely little museum, not at all pretentious and set in a lovely rural setting.


 Dress: vintage, Carolina Maid, thrifted via Savers
Sweater: Itsu, thrifted via Goodwill
Boots: brand unknown, J. Marcel
Bag: Sefridge's (UK)
Hat: ???? (really old)






Never let it be said I don't take my photos in exotic locations



Rockwell created 321 covers for the Saturday Evening Post between 1916 and 1963, every single one is displayed in the basement of the museum where you view a video about Rockwell's life. What I found most fascinating was that they were donated by subscribers from all over the country to make a complete collection.


Freedom from Want, the third of the Four Freedoms, often mislabeled as Norman Rockwell's Thanksgiving



Norman Rockwell's studio which was moved in 1986 from the center of town. The school children were given the day off to watch. The studio and museum now sit on the grounds of one of the great Berkshire estates and the house there is now the museum's administrative offices.


The Stockbridge First Congregational Church on the village green.


The memorial Chime Tower on the green next to the church, which marks the spot the Great Awakening, the religious movement of the 19th century, began


Stockbridge's idyllic main street which other than the cars has changed very little since Rockewell painted it at Christmastime in 1967.


The perfect sweet ending to a lovely day, salted caramel gelatto on top of apple cider sorbetto, its not as good as a caramel apple, its better.

The first black squirrel I had ever seen, apparently a small colony was released in nearby Westfield and have spread throughout western Massachusetts. Still they make you look twice they look so odd and dark darting through the leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment