21 August 2013

The Muse: Color-Blocked Print




 So this week's Trend Spin linkup was color blocking, and since I spent Tuesday (the day of the linkup) cleaning the basement where the washing machine overflowed, I wanted to just give it up. A word about me and color blocking: I just don't get it. At first I thought it meant prints like a Mondrian painting where there are literally blocks of color, and sometimes this is true. Other times it just means wearing a bunch of separate and distinct colors, ie: royal blue shirt, hot pink pants, yellow shoes. But frankly there just isn't a concrete enough definition for me. More importantly I struggle with the concept because it seems to focus on blocks of solid colors, which is not something I have a lot of in my wardrobe. I like prints, in case you couldn't tell. I can wear two totally different colored prints, and often do but that's a whole other trend. But if color blocking includes striped things, those are patterns. So is a Mondrian like block motif. SO I said screw it and just made up my own rules.
In this dress I'm taking a stand for the color blocked pattern. This dress looks like the inside of a LSD hallucination, with a mixture of Ed Hardy like motorcycle flames and tie-dye dreams, with a little Far Easter influence thrown in just for fun. But it does have very clear separate and distinct blocks of color. So does the purse, which has just about every color or pattern ever made in leather, some of which occur naturally in nature, others like the sparkly chartreuse, do not. So that's y story and I'm sticking to it, I don't care what anyone says, I color blocked with the best of them. Also as an interesting side note I think this dress and this purse represent the polar opposites of my closet, the dress being the cheapest item (at $0.99), and the purse being the most expensive( at $199). Leave it to fashion to bring them together on design's common ground.



Dress: NF thrifted via Savers
Necklace: not sure, possibly Kohl's???
Purse: DeDe via Anthropologie
Shoes: Not Rated, gift
Sunglasses: J. Marcel
Nail Polish: Ocean by Revlon Expess





</>

pleated poppy

1 comment:

  1. I love that everything is this outfit is very rainbow-styled and colorful--purse, dress, shoes, necklace--you definitely had a theme!

    The Random Writings of Rachel

    ReplyDelete