09 July 2013

The Muse: Monarch of the Glen



Being a teacher, and being off in the summertime I have the bulk of my free time this time of year. FOr me that usually means making a serious commitment to a television series that I never got to see while it was actually on TV. With everything being out of DVD now even the more obscure shows, it makes it pretty easy. Because I'm cheap and poor, I usually get these DVDs from the public library. A few years ago my summer series was Monarch of the Glen, which you probably have never heard of unless you are a committed Anglophile like myself. It was a BBC show that aired seven seasons from 2000-2005. The first five seasons are really the core of the show (nobody really took the last two seasons seriously because almost the entire original cast had left and the ratings tanked) and centered around Archie, a young yuppie who returns to his ancestral castle in Scotland to try and save it, having to deal with all of his crazy Highland family and friends in the process.



Its definitely a a girl thing, in fact I first learned about Monarch of the Glen through the main character in Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series, which are definitely chick lit. Eloise (the main character) unabashedly adores Monarch of the Glen and fantasizes that her crush Colin is lord of the manor just like Archie. Its sort of a British equivalent of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, but set in a contemporary setting. One of Archie's quirky housemates is Lexie who is a bumbling, ditzy sort of housekeeper. Lexie stands out like a sore thumb because she dressy very bright and flashy amidst all the plaid and tweed (she's easy to pick out in the pictures). She's the modern woman in a world of old school tradition, and eventually (spoiler) she marries Archie and becomes the lady of Glenbogle (perhaps the most ridiculous name for a house ever conceived). This outfit falls somewhere in the middle, I have both my plaid and my sequins, which was really what Monarch of the Glen was all about, melding the old and the new.





Blouse: Talbots, thrifted via Chic2Chic
Shorts: Ann Taylor Loft
Belt: thrifted via Goodwill
Bracelet: vintage, gift
Headband: Ulta
Purse: Mossimo via Target
Shoes: Kelsi Dagger via T.J. Maxx
Sunglasses: Chic2Chic




Style Elixir





MIX MATCH



pleated poppy


</>

2 comments:

  1. You know what, I might just have to check out that show! I wonder if they have it on Netflix. I never watch TV in real time, primarily because waiting a whole week between episodes is torture if I really like the show! I really like the plaid pattern of your top!

    ReplyDelete